Saturday, August 28, 2010

Settling In

Hola USA! In order to remember my stories from Spain, keep everyone that cares about my adventures updated, and perhaps maybe even make some reflective analyses and retell funny anecdotes, I've decided to create a blog.  Even though most journals I've kept in my lifetime quickly lost their allure, hopefully I can try to maintain this one. While I'll try to refrain from simply narrating events, this first entry might include some boring info so I can bring everyone (if anyone) up to speed on these past few days. I haven't taken any pictures yet (mainly due to my uncanny talent of losing cameras), but I promise to post them soon to provide some interesting illustrations.
I literally feel like I've been here a week instead of just 2 and 1/2 days; everyday has kept me really busy and when you're out of your comfort zone, I guess time tends to stretch itself out.  When I first got off the plane, I had quite the ordeal in getting onto the metro.  With 4 sets of luggage, it was pretty ridulous to not get a cab but hey I'm trying to save money.  First the machine wouldn't take credit cards even though it said it did, then the customer service lady was a biatch and wouldn't help me.  I finally went back up the escalator (with my 4 bags) and got cash out but 50s were too big. Again bitch lady told me to just "go upstairs." I went back up and had to find a bank where I could finally get change. And from that point I took the metro while lugging my 4 bags up numerous flights of stairs in between stops...Lets just say it took me 3 hours to get to my hostel after my plane landed.  On the bright side, the metro is very easy to figure out and even my directionally-challenged self could handle it.
After that, I was for lack of a better word, depressed. I had a very hard time getting adjusted to being away from everyone that knew me including friends, family, and Greg.  To top it off, a girl at the hostel started scaring me with hearsay of getting fined or arrested for overstaying my tourist visa.  Yesterday I had orientation and my visa fears were squashed with TEFL teachers and every Spanish person telling me I should have nothing to worry about.  My new friend Antonio (who I'll introduce later) made it simple: If I get deported or arrested, I'm making it hard on the Spanish government because they have to pay for my flight home which they obviously don't want to to do.  And my day got much better: I found a place to live in a really cool, nice neighborhood that's next to the famous Retiro Park and with international students/workers.  I'm living with 2 guys (one from Germany and one from Switzerland or Sweden---the Spanish word for that is almost identical so I'm not sure what Antonio-my new landlord/amigo said---and a girl from France.  After my good news I went to eat at a restaurant by myself and made friends with a seventy year-old Italian man.  He proceeded to tell me he got divorced and won't every marry again because women are jealous and always ask questions to which I responded his wife probably had a good reason.  He agreed he was "how you say- playboy?" Today I went to get tapas with Antonio and his German friends that were visiting--yay for having a local friend! Antonio is a typical Spanish hombre who likes to drink and talk and do, do, do. I had to explain I needed a break from the 7 hour rendezvous around Spain since I was tired, especially since tapas are cheaper if you stand at the bar sans barstools, before going out tonight.  It's good though because I can often get into the habit of cuddling beside my TV but hopefully I won't be able to be as lazy here- expect of course during siestas.
Anyhoo, thats my past fews days in a nutshell. My classes start Monday and I'll move into my new apartment Thursday.  In the beginning I seriously considered coming home so I'm glad to be much happier in this present moment.  Everyone here says I have a very good accent and even that my Spanish is perfect, I just need to learn more vocabulary. woo hoo! Everyone email me your phone numbers because I can call the US for free on Skype!
Hasta muy pronto!

6 comments:

  1. Yenn! I'm so proud of you! I can just picture you with your luggage probably wearing your Salva Vida tank. Any good Spanish beer to write home about? After last weekend I need to put myself on restriction.

    I'm off to start a blog -- you've motivated me and the Ghost House blog was made with good intentions yet hardly followed through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey ginny--so far i've only had bud light-like shit! but hey its only 1 euro! take that PBR! and bring on the free tapas! i told antonio about mellow and all of our beers and the purple haze but him in a haze--he was shocked there could be raspberry in beer! ill let you know if i find any good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!
    baby, are you wearing red lipstick over there??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shaboom,
    I'm really pumped to hear all about Espana, this was a brilliant idea. C-ville misses you, and I miss you, so keep the posts coming! Definitely post some pictures too, I want to see what you're seeing. Take care of yourself,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg jenn I love this blog!!! I'm so proud and I can't believe you already found an apartment!!!! miss you sooo much!!! Just got skype (sylvia.macon) so we can talk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Logan-- duhh baby I packed that!
    Steve-- I miss cville and you waaaay hard. hope grad school is awesome, thanks for reading:)
    sylvia-- you have to start your own blog too!!

    ReplyDelete